Thursday, October 16, 2008

Camping!

Megan* and I went camping at Hot Springs, NC over the weekend. We left my house at 1:30pm on Friday and arrived at the campground two hours later after a pleasant drive through the mountains. Being that this trip was for simple relaxation and not for wilderness adventure, the first thing we did was setup camp and then take a nap.

Later in the evening we discovered that I left my stove behind, so instead of the paella that Megan thought we were making, we ended up having pizza from the camp store for dinner along with a few screwdrivers. I had a hard time getting the fire going that night as the wood was a bit wet and I didn't have enough pencil-sized kindling.

The next day we slept in and read for a few hours until Lauren, Megan's friend from work, and her fiance Corey arrived. I had technically met them before, but had no idea they were such fun people. We played a game of Settlers of Catan, Stitcheln, and then we had hot dogs & smores over the campfire. This fire caught with one match now that the wood was dry and that I took the time to make proper kindling. We were up for hours hanging around the fire with a few beers, telling stories.

On Sunday we again slept in and had a late breakfast with Lauren and Corey. We left the camp around 1:30pm and stopped at a Boston Market restaurant in Asheville on the way back.

All in all an incredibly relaxing trip. I've now been to Hot Springs 4 out of the past 5 Octobers and Megan has stated that she wants this to be a yearly trip.

*you may have seen me use both Megan and Karly as the name of my girlfriend. Her birth name is Megan, but when she started using internet forums she wanted something more anonymous so she started using Karly and now several people only know her as Karly. I prefer to use Megan, but I'll probably use both from time to time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was an awesome trip! Though we should make it into a three day instead of a weekend. Drive up Thursday night after work...and just relax by the river. Had so much fun baby!

David E. Galloway said...

Sounds good to me. :)